Friday 3 July 2020

Farewell to the man who put the ❤️ in New York


Milton Glaser, photographed by Sam Haskins

26 June brought some sad news. Milton Glaser, the graphic designer who invented the famous logo that promoted New York City to the world, died on 26 June, his 91st birthday.

I met Milton a couple of times in 1996. My colleague Karin Agosta and I had chosen as our publicists for the launch of The Dictionary of Art a duo who became good friends. Missy McHugh had been working at Christie’s and went on to do very distinguished work at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Her colleague Pete Tannen had worked in advertising in New York and Australia, was a jazz fan and a humourist with a very wry taste in jokes. Pete had known Milton for a long time and recommended his studio to design our materials.

I tagged along to a couple of meetings at which Milton presided, gave advice and then left us in the capable hands of one of his colleagues. As soon as I shook his hand, I knew that I was dealing with a genial wise man who really knew what made great graphic design. New York is a complicated city, whose earthy rough edges accommodate, without contradiction, a certain kind of humane, liberal, learned, eternally interested in ideas, kind of person. Milton was a supreme example of that noble side of the city.

He is, of course, not famous for the work his studio did for Karin and me. One of his most iconic designs is a poster he designed for CBS records in 1966 to accompany a Bob Dylan album. Dylan was portrayed in austere black-and-white profile, but from his head sprang a multi-coloured rainbow of hair. The image was instantly arresting and spoke to the spirit of the 60s, just as much as did Frank Zappa and the hippy scene in San Francisco. His other iconic design was the I ️New York symbol, familiar even to those who have never been to the city.

Milton was also the co-founder and co-publisher of New York magazine. He was also its restaurant critic. He was literate as well as visually acute. He was also a great supporter of graphic design education. Later, when I worked for Thames & Hudson, many graphic design professors in the New York area told me that he regularly gave his time to give classes in the city’s design schools.

I commented to Pete that Milton had struck me as a gentle soul. Pete replied: And not always that gentle, to be honest-- when he got going on conservative politicians, he became so angry and passionate that people turned and looked at us in restaurants!”

I am sorry that I met him only so briefly, but those are meetings I will not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment